Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Living with Invisible Illness

I had hoped to make at least one blog post every day this week in honor of Invisible Illness Awareness Week, but guess what -- I have an invisible illness and couldn't manage that!
 
On Tuesday, I needed to take a payment to my insurance agent, and as long as I was out decided to pop into two stores at the mall and treat myself to lunch.  I wasn't in either store more than 10-15 minutes; I don't do long shopping expeditions any more.  I was out less than 3 hours (most of it sitting on the bus, in the insurance office, or at lunch) and because I have an invisible illness, I collapsed into bed when I came home and accomplished nothing the rest of the day.
 
Ah, who am I kidding?  I barely made it home.  I over-estimated my stamina by about a block and a half, and after getting off the bus, really had to tough it out to get home instead of collapsing on the street corner a few hundred yards away.  It took 5-10 minutes to walk that last block (a healthy person should be able to do it in a little over 1 minute).
 
Those are the times that I wish the detractors could see me -- not when I'm well enough to be out and about, but when I'm exhausted from being out and struggling to get home.  That's when it becomes apparent that I have a disabling invisible illness. 

No comments: